We’re Hiring: Manager, Operations
Are you a critical thinker? Detail-oriented? Adaptable with strong communication skills? We’re hiring!
Position Length: Permanent
Reports to: CEO
Salary Range: $60,000 to $75,000 annually, 3 weeks vacation, employee benefits and professional development opportunities
- This position is located in downtown Toronto in an open-concept work space.
- Due to COVID19, our team is currently working from home full time. Resources will be provided to enable remote work.
- Return to on-site work is in-progress following all health and safety protocols issued by public health and government polices.
Start Date: December 2021
As one of the premier civic engagement organizations in Canada, CivicAction leverages nearly two decades of experience and a network of thousands of stakeholders across sectors to take action on the most pressing challenges facing the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area and beyond. As the charitable arm of CivicAction, the CivicAction Leadership Foundation provides high impact leadership programs that open doors, minds & opportunities for young, emerging and under-represented leaders in the GTHA. This position will support programs delivered by both parts of the organization.
The Manager Operations reports to the CEO and supports the management team of CivicAction and the CivicAction Leadership Foundation (CLF) in ongoing business operations. This position has management accountability for three key administrative functions: 1) Business Planning, ii) Human Resources; and iii) Corporate Administration. This role calls for a focus on coordination of corporate budget and controllership, risk management, legal and internal audit.
Key Skills & Attributes:
- Critical Thinker: Quick entrepreneurial growth mindset to ensure business operations alignment with corporate strategy.
- Detail Oriented: Driven to ensure highest measure of quality control while meeting deadlines and milestones. Strong numeracy skills and experience in maintaining fiscal transparency and accountability.
- Connector: Ability to work effectively across the whole organization with colleagues and partners to develop talent and people.
- Strong Communicator: Ability to effectively communicate enterprise processes and policies to a wide range of stakeholders in all formats.
- Adaptable: Ability to work within degrees of ambiguity, with the capacity to distill critical “next steps”. Able to keep swiftly moving between the short and long view.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Management lead with the CEO and CFO for the Boards’ Joint Finance, Audit and Risk Committee, including responsibility for Committee documentation.
- Responsible for managing the development of annual business planning and budget, with the CEO and CFO.
- Administer operational controllership including supporting management in the execution of monthly budget reporting.
- Oversee coordination of annual audit and tendering of auditor.
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of a corporate risk register.
- Modernization of finance functions and processes.
- Day to day financial operations and reporting with the Sr. Accountant.
- Procure and manage external suppliers.
People and Talent:
- Develop and deliver procedures and policies for hiring and talent development.
- Support management with enterprise-wide people and talent policies and procedures for a staff complement of approximately 22 including: compensation and benefits, performance evaluation and recruiting.
- Review and updates to HR requirements and policies.
- Help build a human capital development and “coaching” culture.
- Support the Director of Inclusion in the development and implementation of the DEI plan.
- Secure and engage legal counsel on contract and employment matters.
- As a supporting member of the organization’s executive leadership, contribute to decision-making for corporate strategy, resource management and talent development.
- Work with CEO and management to identify and advance internal and external priorities, operational planning, talent, and budgeting.
- Responsible for business technology, facilities, and document management.
- Support the CEO in preparation and presentation of relevant Board materials.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written formats
- Flexibility and willingness to undertake a variety of tasks
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple deliverables under tight deadlines, and excellent project and time management skills
- Education background or lived experience in a business administration field is an asset
- Displays high standards of professional behavior and ethical standards
- Excellent team player who can effectively balance progressive and exciting projects while building strong relationships with colleagues
How to Apply:
Send your résumé and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 3, 2021, at 11:59PM EST. Late applications will not be accepted. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please use the following naming convention for your résumé and a cover letter
- Email subject: Operations_and_Development_Officer_Lastname_Firstname_Year
Commitment to Inclusive Workplaces & Recruitment:
CivicAction is committed to diversity in our workplace and in our recruitment processes. We encourage applications from members of all racialized groups, gender identities and sexual orientations, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and family status. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.